To book a place please call 03000 415888 or email BusinessSupportTeam@kent.gov.uk and leave your name and a contact number.
Before the class starts
This online course is for mothers, fathers and carers with children aged 5 to 11 years.
Family Learning courses are engagement courses, helping families move back into learning. All the courses are FREE. Learners can attend up to two Wider Family Learning (WFL) and Parenting courses from August 1st 2020, and can then progress onto a Family English, Maths and Language course. Priority for places is given to new learners.
This course is designed to:
Support parents and carers with their understanding of children’s early communication development (through references to the Early Years Foundation Stage)
Give adults knowledge and skills to support their children’s language progression to engage with their children using literacy games and activities that they can create during the course.
This course will demonstrate to learners how developing early communication skills can be fun and also provide adults with an opportunity to improve their own Literacy skills. Additionally, it should promote relationships between adults and their children and the wider community as a whole, whilst building learners’ confidence and self-esteem.
Content will include all/some of the following:
• How children and babies communicate and learn to talk from 0-5 years.
• A consideration of what language and communication are, and why they matter
• A study of the importance of talking, listening to and playing with babies and children.
• An opportunity to play games, tell stories, read books, sing rhymes and songs and make things to support the development of children’s language, communication and English skills.
• Discussions of ideas to support children’s language, communication and English skills in everyday routines and when out and about.
• An insight into how children begin to learn to read and write.