To book a place please call 03000 415888 or email BusinessSupportTeam@kent.gov.uk and leave your name and a contact number.
This online course is for Mothers, fathers and carers with children aged 4 to 11 years.
This course is for adults only.
Family Learning courses are engagement courses, helping families move back into learning. All the courses are FREE. Learners can attend up to two Wider Family Learning (WFL) and Parenting courses from August 1st 2020, and can then progress onto a Family English, Maths and Language course. Priority for places is given to new learners.
It is designed to:
Familiarise adults with the main strategies currently used to teach reading, writing, spelling and handwriting in primary schools. It aims to help parents feel confident in supporting their children’s learning of English whilst providing an opportunity to brush up their own skills. It can be used as a route onto a longer English course with accreditation at the end.
Content will include all/some of the following:
• Look at how reading is taught in schools with the emphasis on synthetic phonics but including other key strategies
• Learn the accurate pronunciation of the 44 phonemes and how to use them when blending and decoding words
• Understand what is meant by tricky words, CVCs, synonyms, alliteration and other English terms and vocabulary which may be new and unfamiliar
• Explore story sacks and how to make reading fun for reluctant readers
• Discuss handwriting and practise cursive writing in line with the school’s handwriting policy
• Ideas to encourage writing and VCOP (if used in school)
• Make a selection of phonic and high frequency word resources to support literacy learning at home
• Discover hints and tips to help learn spellings
• Play a variety of games to develop speaking and listening skills
Explore and evaluate useful literacy resources including dictionaries, thesauruses and those available online.