Family Learning courses are engagement courses, helping families move back into learning.
All the courses are FREE. Priority for places is given to new learners.
Learners can attend up to two Wider Family Learning (WFL) or Parenting courses from August 1st 2020, and can then progress onto a Family English, Maths and Language course.
This online course is for Mothers, fathers and carers with children aged 4 to 11 years.
It is designed to:
Familiarise adults with a range of new calculation methods and mental maths strategies currently used to teach maths in primary schools. It aims to help adults feel confident in supporting their children’s learning in maths whilst providing an opportunity to brush up their own skills. It can be used as a route onto a longer maths course with accreditation at the end.
Content will include all/some of the following:
• Look at new methods for addition, subtraction, multiplication and division taught in schools and compare with traditional formal written methods
• Identify the age/stage expectations and key objectives in the KS1 & KS2 Numeracy curriculum
• Discover hints and tips to help learn times tables
• Use the grid method and chunking when multiplying and dividing
• Understand what is meant by number bonds, partitioning, place-value and other mathematical terms and vocabulary which may be new and unfamiliar
• Make number lines, hundred squares, arrow cards, number fans and additional resources to support maths learning at home
• Carry out practical activities with shape, metric measures and data handling
• Explore and evaluate useful maths resources including maths dictionaries and those available online.
E-newsletter sign up
Fill out the form below to sign up to emailer. You’ll get the very latest news, events and new courses.