About this course
Art History: Post-Impressionism
This course will examine how the separate artists of Post-Impressionism each developed their disparate styles beyond that of Impressionism. It will also emphasize in what way they combined Impressionist optical ideas of light, colour and brush mark with a variety of innovative methods of representing traditional form and content. The three principal artists to be explored will include Paul Cézanne, Vincent van Gogh and Paul Gauguin. In addition, there will be the opportunity to see artworks from artists such as Toulouse-Lautrec, Paul Sérusier, Pierre Bonnard, Edouard Vuillard and Georges Seurat.
By the end of the course students will be able to…..
• Identify the influences of Post-Impressionist artists
• Demonstrate a knowledge of different artists
• Recognise the distinct visual language of individual artists
• Develop and justify their point of view
• Take part in discussion with other students