How will I be taught?
There will be an initial explanation, supported by a PowerPoint presentation and practical exercises during the morning, based within the dry and comfortable Adult Education Centre. The afternoon will consist of an outside practical session ‘in the field' to put into practice and recap the skills learnt - it will take place in Penshurst. The tutor will carefully note your progress and advise on an individual basis.
What do I need to bring with me?
Things to bring:
* Pen and notepad (though handouts will be provided on which you can make notes)
* You may wish to bring a packed lunch
* Suitable footwear for comfortable walking in Tonbridge and surrounding countryside
* Waterproof clothing in case of inclement weather during outside practical session
* (if you have them) Explorer map No 147, a compass
Note: we will have spare (waterproof) maps and compasses for the practical elements.
What can I do next?
The follow on course are the National Navigation Award Scheme - Bronze or Silver Award. Your tutor will have more details. We offer a range of courses in walking and outdoor pursuits including Bushcraft, Night or Dawn walks, longer 5 mile walks called Walk Kent - Tunbridge Wells and other courses based in the Great Outdoors. Please see the website for details: www.kentadulteducation.co.uk
What do I need to join the course
The course is designed for beginners or those with a little experience who want to refresh their skills. Anyone may join who has an interest in taking charge of their own navigational abilities rather than trusting to luck or GPS. We will start from the basics.